Quality and Academic Standards
BIMM Institute is committed to maintaining the highest standards of academic and vocational excellence in modern music education. As part of this obligation, we continue to look for ways to communicate information about this mission to all stakeholders including our staff, students (current and prospective), their parents and guardians.
To accomplish this, we share information on the way we assure academic standards and manage and enhance the quality of learning opportunities we provide to our students in partnership with our awarding institutions.
Quality assurance and enhancement
In the UK, the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) oversees our provision and in Ireland, it’s the Irish Universities Quality Board (IUQB) through its oversight of our awarding institution, Technological University Dublin (TU Dublin).
In the UK, we are aligned with the QAA UK Quality Code (UKQC) and in Ireland with the National Framework for Qualifications (NFQ).
BIMM Limited underwent a Higher Education Review in January 2016 conducted by the QAA and has received its final report, which is available in full here.
BIMM Institute Taught Degree Awarding Powers
BIMM Institute was granted Taught Degree Awarding Powers in the UK by an Order from the Privy Council on 14th March 2019, having demonstrated that it meets the criteria to become a ‘recognised body’ for awarding degrees in the UK. As such, BIMM Institute has overall responsibility for the academic standards and the quality of the qualifications we offer, and we are able to award our own undergraduate and Masters degrees.
All BIMM Institute courses undergo a rigorous approval process, overseen by our Academic Board, that includes advice from external academic and creative industries experts to ensure that they are aligned with the UK Quality Assurance Agency’s Framework for Higher Education Qualifications and the relevant Subject Benchmark Statements, and meet the needs of the industries they serve.
In addition, BIMM Institute is registered with the Office for Students in the Approved (fee cap) category and is required to meet the ongoing conditions of registration.
Accreditations and membership
- We are registered by the Office for Students (OfS) in the Approved (fee cap) category, the sector regulator, as an English Higher Education provider and assessed by them for such things as financial sustainability, management and governance capability and student protection.
- We are subscribers to the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA), the UK’s designated quality body.
- We are a member of UCAS, which provides application services across a range of subject areas and modes of study for UK higher education providers.
- We are engaged and currently hold a Bronze Award with the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), which has been set up to recognise and reward excellent teaching in Higher Education.
- We are licensed by the UK Visas and Immigration Service (UKVI) for the sponsorship of international students.
- We subscribe to UKCISA, the UK’s national advisory body serving the interests of international students and those who work with them.
- We subscribe to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) which collects a range of data every year from a wide range of higher education institutions and publishes information in a wide range of formats for use by prospective students.