2020/21 Postgraduate Course Delivery
Our priority is the safety of the BIMM student community, and we will continually review the changing environment and guidance throughout the coming year.
We understand the desire for students to use the college’s facilities, and we are committed to giving our students as much access to our buildings as is possible, whilst working within public health guidelines.
We fully intend to offer full and complete access to the college as soon as it is safe to do so. In the meantime, we will be offering a mixture of online and physically taught modules on each MA course.
MA Course Leaders will be able to provide course-specific information in relation to the MA Popular Music Practice (Bristol, Brighton, London, and Dublin) and the MA Learning and Teaching in the Creative Industries (Brighton) during the application and interview process.
Here are the general principles of postgraduate delivery related to both courses in each of our colleges.
What will your BIMM MA course look like in September?
- In semester one – September to January – the risk to health is likely to be highest, so we will be adopting a form of blended delivery across our courses: a mixture of online and face-to-face activity.
- The exact balance will be tailored to each module and how it is best delivered; we have taken the most important & essential face-to-face aspects of your learning experience and built our online provision around them.
- Social distancing will mean that your class sizes may be reduced, but this allows us to spend more time with each of you individually. Across both online and face-to-face, there is a real emphasis on getting to know your lecturers, and each other, and engaging in useful, authentic activity.
- For Semester two which starts on 25th January, we intend to run all modules in the college. Should the social restrictions ease in Semester two but not allow for all modules to be in the college, we will run as many as we can on-site.
- If restrictions tighten further, then we have the ultimate flexibility to move all modules online, so that there is no interruption to your education. We will communicate any potential changes as early as we can.
- We understand that you want to use our buildings and physical resources. Outside lesson time you will have access to college facilities to rehearse or to undertake project work, and we have partnered with Pirate Studios to provide you with 24/7 access to rehearsal space in all BIMM college locations in the UK.
- In addition to physical resources, you will also have access to a range of resources online. These include our virtual learning environment Moodle, our e-Library EBSCO and Microsoft Teams which was used successfully this spring to foster our community virtually. We have also moved our showcases online and will continue to hold them virtually in semester one.
1-2-1 mentoring is an important part of both BIMM MA courses
- MA Learning and Teaching in the Creative Industries: You will have access to tutorials with the course leader and module leaders, as well as tutorials with placement mentors.
- MA Popular Music Practice: You will be working with a specialist coach or coaches, as well as have access to tutorials with the core academic team
For any questions regarding our 2020/21 Postgraduate course delivery plan, please contact our Admissions Team on 0844 2 646 666 or email [email protected]